Countermeasures to the under vehicle IED (UVIED) threat
Know your vehicle thoroughly, when searching for an IED you must know what should be attached, inside or underneath.
- Keep your vehicle in good condition and regularly serviced.
- Never leave your vehicle unlocked. Remember to secure all the doors, sunroof, bonnet and boot. Use the alarm or immobilizer if fitted.
- On returning to your vehicle, do not take it for granted that it is as safe as when you left it.
- Secure bonnet locks and lockable petrol caps should be fitted and used whenever possible.
- Never leave your baggage unattended outside the vehicle.
- Never carry other people’s baggage or packages unless you have personally checked the contents.
- Carry a torch with you to check your vehicle after dark. Do not leave the torch in the vehicle
- Switch off the courtesy light inside the vehicle to avoid illumination when getting in and out
- Always try to park the vehicle in a lockable garage at home and at work. If no garage is available, leave it in a supervised car park or where the general public can see it